If you are suffering from acid reflux and you are looking for acid reflux home remedies to help you, then you must pay close attention to this article. As you may already know home remedies are generally said to be better than the alternative chemical remedies simply because they do not contain any toxic chemicals that might bring harm to your system. The problem with artificial chemical remedies is the chemicals they contain which our body has difficulties in processing.
What are Acid Reflux Home Remedies?
A home remedy is something you can do from the comfort of your home, you don’t have to go very far to source for the materials to do this, this makes the home remedies much more cheaper than their manufactured counterparts which can cost you lots of money. But they are some dissenting opinions as regards to home remedies, some people think that home remedies are not as effective when compared to the synthetically manufactured Antacids available for relieving acid reflux symptoms. These antacids have the advantage of being able to provide fast relief for acid reflux symptoms, but a major disadvantage is the associated side effects from the use of these antacids and prolonged use may lead to a dis-functional organ.
First, you need to understand that acid reflux home remedies can be applied to a very high level of effectiveness, but the home remedy deals with the problem from a long term perspective. So a home remedy will not only deal with your acid reflux symptoms but will also deal with the root cause of the problem, this makes the home remedies much more of a permanent solution to acid reflux.
Although the over consumption of acids can bring about an acid reflux attack, this is not the predominant cause of acid reflux, the problem of acid reflux is caused mainly by the weakening of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter. And the weakening of this muscle can be caused by a variety of conditions such as over consumption of Tobacco, Acidic foods, water(at a time),fatty and fried foods and eating very close to our bed time.
So what Are The Remedies?
- The first curative action is to avoid those conditions and habits that led to the occurrence of your acid reflux problem in the first place. Quit smoking, stay away from the foods that are likely to lead to acid reflux such as drinks containing caffeine, fried foods and acidic foods.
- Eat your meals in smaller portions, but more frequently.
- Eat your meals at least two hours before going to bed.
- When you eat, make sure you eat slowly and chew properly this will make digestion easier.
- You can take fruits like banana or papaya to help your stomach prepare for digestion, they contain some enzymes that can aid in digestion.
- Take one or two tablespoon of organic honey, this will help calm your stomach and also soothe your esophageal lining.
- When you first notice symptoms of acid reflux, try taking a sip of water.
- Bend your knees at the first symptom of heartburn – it strengthens your LES, helping to keep the stomach contents in the stomach.
- If you have particularly taken acidic foods, try chewing a sugar free gum, this will neutralize the acids and facilitate the production of enzymes that will aid digestion.
- Chew a sugar-free gum after eating to neutralize the acids and enable the production of enzyme-rich saliva.
Tips For Living with Acid Reflux
Fruits though good sources of nutrition also contain acids, as we all know from elementary science an ACID will corrode everything it makes contact with. Think of it all as a rusty bucket, rusty cars, rusty plumbing, and yep – rusty Esophagus’s or Throats. Maybe our Esophagus’s don’t rust the same way as metals do, but any ingested acid corrodes our esophagus the same way acids corrodes plumbing, – eating away at the lining covering the Esophagus’s until it eventually starts to look more like an intestine abdomen then reacts with the obvious- acid reflux, these tips for living with acid reflux will help you navigate the often difficult and lonely path acid reflux presents.
I also love chocolate. Health experts advice that chocolate taken in small amounts is good for your health because it promotes a compound called flavonoids otherwise known as aromatic antioxidant compounds. So what the heck are aromatic antioxidant compounds! Chocolate can cause ACID REFLUX and the only aromatic thing about ACID REFLUX is the distinct smell of well, you know – vomit, bad breath Nothing aromatic or sexy about that is there?
Another one of my favorites is pasta. i could eat Pasta in the morning, pasta in the evening, pasta at supper time, my kind of food – but this also is not good.Coffee too is not good, ice-cream isn’t good either. Potato salad is out of bounds, and neither is meat of any kind, and before you start thinking that the only thing left is dirt or grass let me explain – even healthy foods can be bad for GERD Sufferers when eaten in huge quantities – especially before bedtime.
So here’s the BIG NEWS:It is possible to lead a perfectly normal life despite your acid reflux condition if you learn and adapt to the new rules and remember to do everything in moderation. And of course you already know the foods to avoid with acid reflux, those foods which trigger reflux with you, so stay clear of them. For everything else, remember Moderation is the key to staying healthy with acid reflux disease. there are no real secrets.
So what can you do about it?When it comes to tips for living with acid reflux, the best tip is to just take it easy. Go easy on the food portions; don’t over eat, but do eat often; make sure your plate has colors besides meat (brown) and white (potatoes/rice) – I suggest at least 5 colors at each meal; eat slowly; eat smaller portions especially at dinner; and don’t forget to go easy and enjoy your meals.